Vision and values
We are the new major charity formed to support much-needed research into mental health.
Our vision is to create, with your help, a world where:
- Mental health is as respected as physical health, and mental illness is understood, diagnosed and treated like any other disorder
- World-class research into improving the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illness is a global priority
- People affected by mental illness and families know the best science is being applied to improving their quality of life.
We are not there yet, but we believe that with your support we can be.
Interdisciplinary: We are committed to supporting collaborative research across all the spectrum of biological, psychological and social sciences, from laboratory work, experimental psychology, clinical trials, and prevention studies.
International: Mental illness can affect anyone of us, no matter where we are in the world. It presents an international challenge – and so to find solutions we need a global response.
We’re seeking out the best and brightest researchers from all over the world, to help us in our mission to transform mental health. (Read the MQ Board of Trustees Statement on Research Funding: Internationalism).
Working to the highest standards: In both our fundraising and grant making activity, we work to the highest ethical standards.
MQ is building a diverse research portfolio, currently focused on three specific themes:
- Research that will improve the impact of currently available treatments, both psychological and medical
- Research that will illuminate the causes of mental illness and lead to better strategies for diagnosis, treatment and prevention
- Support for the best and most innovative researchers who will be the thought leaders of the future.
MQ is on a voyage of discovery. We believe there is a huge fundraising opportunity, but we mustn’t lose sight of the fact that no organisation has done this before. With every individual likely to be directly or indirectly affected by mental illness at some point, everyone has a stake in the success of our initiative. This initiative – and the opportunity – are really unprecedented.
We are therefore prepared to be experimental in our fundraising – and ask that you help us chart a new course in this effort.
Remember – 60 years ago, no one thought it would be possible to raise money for cancer research. Public dedication to the call for donations has made all the difference in the world for the many children and adults suffering from cancer, heart disease and many other illnesses. Now it is time to focus on disorders of the brain and mind.
The challenge for MQ is to be transformative in fundraising as well as research, to find the best ways to raise funds efficiently, effectively and fast – to make that difference happen in our lifetime. We are not there yet, but we can be. Click here to donate.
Find out more
- Read about our current research programmes
- Click here to download our vision, goals and values statement
- Find out how you can get involved with our fundraising activity
- Sign up to receive updates on our work.