The Scope of MQ Research
MQ: Transforming Mental Health is committed to supporting research across all the sciences, from basic bench research to clinical studies to the social sciences. Our remit is to focus on the big challenges in mental health: depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, but we hope and expect that our cross-disciplinary approach will lead to findings that are important to many disorders of the brain.
MQ is focusing on three specific themes:
- Research that will improve the quality of currently available treatments, both psychological and medical;
- Research that will illuminate the mechanisms of disease and lead to better strategies for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illness;
- Supporting the best and most innovative researchers who will be the thought leaders of the future.
MQ is building a diverse research portfolio that includes projects designed to benefit patients and their families as soon as possible – this will most likely be accomplished under our schemes to improve current treatments; and projects designed to improve our understanding of the biological and psychological mechanisms involved in mental illness. We believe these projects will ultimately identify new and better ways to diagnose, treat or prevent mental health problems. They are likely to involve many types of studies and may take as long as 20 years to benefit patients, but by investing now, we hope to ensure that we stay on the path toward improving mental health and quality of life.
Developing the MQ Research Programme
MQ is fortunate to have start-up funding and the aspiration to develop an integrated Research Programme. In building our research portfolio, MQ will leverage talent, technology and creative science to betterunderstand mental health and mental illness. We will focus our funding opportunities on integrated, cross-disciplinary approaches to high priority problems and questions. By working closely with our research funding colleagues around the country, we hope to ensure that MQ funding will stand for innovation and avoid duplication of effort. Click here to read more about our vision.
MQ operates on the principle that the interests of mental health and the interests of our supporters can best be addressed by pursuing the most transformative research, wherever it is based around the world. (Read the MQ Board of Trustees Statement on Research Funding: Internationalism).
MQ is not accepting unsolicited funding proposals at this time.
We hope you will continue to follow us on the website or newsletters for information about our fundraising projects, Funding Announcements, upcoming meetings and other developments pertinent to our research community.
- To learn more about Funding Opportunities, please sign up for our newsletter.
- To make a donation, please visit our Make a Donation page
- We are currently building our science team. To learn more about employment opportunities at MQ, please visit our Jobs page